Home Uncategorized Whites are the majority of UK prisoners for terrorism

banneraliexp

Whites are the majority of UK prisoners for terrorism

by Ace Damon
Whites are the majority of UK prisoners for terrorism

For the second year in a row, whites outnumber blacks and Asians; Radical Islamism still prevails, but extreme-direct grows steadily

Whites are the majority of prisoners for terrorism

The number of whites arrested for terrorism has grown for the second year in a row in the UK, exceeding the number of blacks and Asians detained.

According to official figures released by the British Interior Ministry, 117 white people were arrested on suspicion of terrorism in 2019, against 111 Asians and 21 blacks.

Among the ideologies that motivated the arrests, radical Islamism leads, with 77%. Another 18% of prisoners had extreme right views and the remaining 6% were aligned with unspecified and clarified ideologies.

Despite being the most followed ideology, the number of prisoners for radical Islam was 8% less than the peak it had in 2017. In compensation, alignment with the extreme right has grown rapidly and consistently over the past 3 years and is already considered the greatest threat within the UK.

Of the 231 arrests, 205 people were convicted (89% of cases). The other 11% are in jail awaiting trial.

As of September 30, 54 people arrested on charges of terrorism have been released. Of these, 42 were released after completing the sentence. Sentences ranged from 1 year in prison to life imprisonment.

For the British newspaper The Independent, the director of international security studies at the Royal United Services Intitute, Raffaello Pantucci, points out that white suspects include white supremacists, people who have converted to Islam and those who do not have a specified ideology.

Terrorism in the UK

In November last year, the Ministry of the Interior had lowered the level of terrorism in the UK from "serious" to "substantial", the lowest in 5 years. Despite the risk reduction or the imminence of a terrorist attack, the peninsula still does not feel safe.

The growth of the ultra-right is felt across Europe, where only two parliaments have no members of the extreme right among the members elected by the population.

Among the agendas defended among those aligned with the ultra-right are racism, xenophobia, the need to protect the country from immigrants and believe in national supremacy. As a result, followers of ideology organize marches, enter politics and spread their ideas over the internet, in order to gather more followers.

In the United States, white supremacists are following in the footsteps of jihadists to garner followers and get funding for the cause. But unlike the United Kingdom, the United States does not look at white supremacists as a threat to national security.

In 2016, the neo-Nazi group National Action was banned in the UK and members arrested. Even with the creation of smaller groups, members and leaders were arrested in police operations.

"We need families, friends, colleagues and local communities to recognize that early intervention is not going to ruin someone's life, but to save them, and potentially save other people's lives as well," concludes Pantucci.

(tagsToTranslate) terrorism europe (t) terrorism united kingdom (t) far right (t) ultra-right (t) white supremacy

bannerebay

Related Articles

Leave a Comment

one × 4 =

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More