Announcement was given two months after reports of a US cyber operation against the country after conflict at oil facilities
Iran has prevented a major cyber attack on its infrastructure that was launched by a foreign government, Iranian Telecommunications Minister Mohammad Javad Azari-Jahromi said on Wednesday, two months after reports of a US cyber operation. against the country.
US officials told Reuters in October that the US had carried out a secret cyber attack on Iran following the September 14 attacks on Saudi oil facilities, which Washington and Riyadh attributed to Tehran.
Iran denied involvement in the episode, which was claimed by Yemen's Houthi movement in line with Iran.
"We recently faced a highly organized and state-sponsored attack on our digital infrastructure that was … repelled by the country's security shield," said Iran's Minister of Information and Communications Technology, Mehr news agency reported.
"It was a very extensive attack," he added, indicating that more details would be revealed later.
It was not clear whether Azari-Jahromi was referring to the US cyber attack, which US officials said occurred in September and aimed at Tehran's ability to spread "propaganda."
Asked about the Reuters report on the cyber attack, the minister claimed that "they must have dreamed of it."
Iran has been alert to the threat of cyber attacks from abroad. The United States and Israel secretly sabotaged the controversial Iranian nuclear program in 2009 and 2010 with the Stuxnet computer virus, which destroyed several uranium-enriching centrifuges.
Tensions in the Persian Gulf have risen sharply since US President Donald Trump last year withdrew from Iran's nuclear deal with world powers and reinstated trade and financial sanctions against Tehran.
Copyright © Thomson Reuters.
. (tagsToTranslate) iran (t) cyber attack (t) foreign government (t) conflict iran